If some scents can associate me on spring that are the smells of the flower hyacinth, smell of freshly mowed grass and the best smell of all – smell of prepared stuffed dock (Rumex patientia) leaves. 🙂
So today I present to you my favorite spring/summer meal:
Stuffed dock or mangel leaves
Traditionally it is prepared with dock (Rumex patientia, known as patience dock, garden patience, herb patience, or monk’s rhubarb), but because I couldn’t find it on market I’m preparing it with its alternative mangel (mangold).
- about 20 leaves of dock or mangel (mangold)
- 1 onion
- 500g of ground minced meat
- 1-2 cups of cooked rice (or how much you like)
- 1 egg
- salt, pepper
- a little chopped parsley leaf
- a spoon of grease or oil to distill and grease the pan
1. Wash the leaves of the dock or mangel, then cut the stalk to the beginning of the mangel (cut off the excess stalk), and thin the thick leaf nerve (the one in the middle) with the knife.
Thin out so that the leaf does not crack/break later during wrapping. Boil water in a large pot, so when you remove it from the hot melt, put the leaves in it until they are soft, they need a minute or two of everything, no more needed.
Remove the leaves from the water, drain them and set them aside.
2. In a frying pan on one tray of grease or oil, fry chopped onion, then add the minced meat and fry shortly.
3. Remove the pan from the stove, then add one egg inside, a cup to two cups of cooked rice (put the rice as much as you like and like to have in the stuffing), add salt, pepper, and chopped parsley leaves.
4. Mix it all well, take a single sheet of mangel, then put a spoon of stuffing, or a spoon and a half on its lower end, depending on how large the leaves are, so carefully twist the straws, fold and put it in a pot or baking pan you have previously greased, pour with water, but not too much, let some free water reach the top, cover or put the aluminum foil over, put in the oven at 180-200 degrees and bake about 40-45 minutes.
5. Serve with sour milk or yogurt.
Enjoy! Bon Appétit! Prijatno!
Jovana Karličić is Project Manager at Serbia Incoming DMC