The Serbian Athens
Novi Sad is the second largest city in Serbia, the administrative seat of Vojvodina. The city has a population of around 250,000 people and it is located in the southern part of Pannonian Plain, on the banks of the Danube river and Danube-Tisa-Danube Canal.
Positioned on the Danube, at the crossroads of most important traffic routes
The city was founded in 1694, when Serb merchants formed a colony across the Danube from the Petrovaradin fortress, a Habsburg strategic military post. In the 18th and 19th centuries, it became an important trading and manufacturing centre, as well as a centre of Serbian culture of that period, earning the nickname Serbian Athens. In contrast to many other European destinations, has the reputation, by full right, of a multinational, multicultural and multi-confessional metropolis in which all differences are seen as advantages.
Not far from Novi Sad is a mountain Fruska Gora, popular place for making a field trip. This lovely mountain enjoys protection by the state, as it has been proclaimed a national park. Pastures, orchards and vineyards adorn its slopes, and the higher parts are covered with dense deciduous forests.
The nearest airport is Belgrade’s international Airport Nikola Tesla (81 km).
There are numerous and cultural monuments in Novi Sad to see.
Trg Slobode (Liberty Square) is the largest central city square
Built in the 18th century, Square has always been a place to celebrate important events in the history of the city, as well as a meeting place for people and location where numerous events were held.
In the middle of the square is the monument of Svetozar Miletic, casted in bronze. Together with marble stand it is seven meters high. On the west side of the square is the Town Hall built in 1895th in Neo-Renaissance style, designed by architect George Molnar. The facade of the building is a striking Ionic and Corinthian columns.On the opposite side of the square, is a tall catholic church “Name of Mary”. It was built in 1895th in neogothic style. The interior is decorated with movables of Tirol carver; it has four altars and organ with 24 registers. On the windows are 20 glass paintings, the work of the Hungarian and Czech glass artist. Steep roof and tower are covered with colorful ceramic žolnai. The Clock Tower is 76 meters high.
Dunavski Park is the oldest and most beautiful park in Novi Sad
It was built on marshy land, which was often flooded by Danube River. The first trees were planted in the 19th century. Little Lake is a remnant of the former ponds, at that time called Little Liman. In the lake there is a small island, called Erzsébet, after murdered Austrian empress, and on the island there was a weeping willow tree planted. In the middle of a small lake, there is a fountain nymph, the work of the first Serbian educated sculptor Djordje Jovanovic. In the park there are monuments of Đura Jaksic, Branko Radičevića and Miroslav Antic, the famous Serbian poets.
Dunavska Street is probably the oldest street in Novi Sad.
Uncle Jova Zmaj’s street
Zmaj Jovina and Dunavska streets, with the houses’ and palaces’ facades of different colours, a network of side streets and passages, represent the most picturesque part of the pedestrian zone of the city. There is also the Bishop’s Palace, the Orthodox Cathedral Church of St. George and Zmaj Jova High School. The green island of the city – the Danube River Park – continues to Dunavska Street. On the very brim of the park, there is the Museum of Vojvodina; the Museum of Contemporary Art and Permanent Natural History Exhibition are in its vicinity.
On a rocky cliff at the base of Fruska Gora, at the site of today’s fortress from ancient times there were military forts, and the latest archaeological studies show that the history of this locality originates more than 200 thousand years ago.
Celts lived in this place between 3 and 4 century BC. In Roman times, in the 1st century AD, between Petrovaradin and town today called Sremska Kamenica, there was a fortress Cusum. At the time of the Byzantine Empire in the same place there was a fortress Petricon. In the 8th century, today’s Petrovaradin was in franacka state, and from 9 century it was a part of the state of medieval Hungary. The Turks occupied the fort in the year 1526.
Turkish fort, after 160 years, (1687.), had been conquered by the Austrians and the imperial court evaluates a long battle for supremacy in the Danube region. Austria in 1692nd starts construction of the new fortification, now known as Petrovaradin fortress.
EXIT Music Festival
EXIT is the biggest music festival in South-Eastern Europe. EXIT has taken place at a beautiful and magical fortress in Novi Sad since 2001. Year after year, the number of visitors gets bigger as young people come from different parts of the country and Europe. Apart from quality of the music program that it offers, the festival is a place of fun, and you can enjoy the cool atmosphere of the fortress and the positive energy of the city.
The Fortress site houses 11 performance arenas including the Main Stage and Dance Stage. There is also an extreme sports arena, a technology zone, an NGO zone and an open-air cinema, while accommodation includes camping and hotels.