Most important of all the monasteries of Mount Fruška
Burned and resurrected
With its beauty and decoration, the monastery Grgeteg has always belonged to the most important of all the monasteries of Mount Fruška. According to tradition, it was founded by Despot Stefan Grgurević (1471-1485), for his father Grgur Branković, monk German of Hilandar.
Dedicated to the assignation of the relics of Saint Nikolaj.
Reliable data show that Grgeteg, as well as other monasteries of Mount Fruska, was built after the fall of the Serbian state in 1459. (fall of Smederevo), and before the Turks conquered Srem. During the Austrian-Turkish war, the monastery was burned and abandoned. The present monastery church was built on the site of the old one around 1770. The old iconostasis, which had been painted by Jakov Orfelin, was replaced by the present one in the early 20th century. The new iconostasis, painted from 1901 to 1904 is the work of the famous Serbian painter Uros Predić.
Archimandrite Teodosije Pecanin died at the age of 108 in this monastery in 1730. It was recorded that out of 17 archimandrites of the monastery, 11 were elected bishops, and one was appointed patriarch.