Ljubostinja monastery


Built on a site where Princess Milica met Prince Lazar

Foundation and resting place of Princess Milica

Ljubostinja Monastery is the foundation and resting place of Princess Milica, wife of the well-known Prince Lazar, who was famously killed in the Battle of Kosovo in 1389. The monastery was built in the late 14th and early 15th century, in a specific architectural style, known as “Moravska school”. After the collapse of one Serbian rebellion, Turks burned the monastery as a revenge to the Serbs, and most of the frescoes were destroyed and secret treasure was stolen.

Princess Milica became a nun here, together with a number of other widows of fallen warriors who lost their lifes in the batlles of Kosovo and Marica. One of them was Nun Jefimija, the most famous Serbian female poet and thinker of that time. She embroidered here the text in gold on the Shroud of Prince Lazar which is now kept in Belgrade.

The monastery is located in central Serbia, near the town of Trstenik and not far away from touristic spa center of Vrnjačka Banja.