A heart of Central Serbia
Kragujevac is a significant economic, cultural, educational and health center of Šumadija, Pomoravlje, and neighboring regions. It is the fourth largest town in the Republic of Serbia and It wears the title of the city of national importance.
First in many reasons
In many ways, we can call this city “the first in Serbia”.
It was the first capital of modern Serbia. It was a birthplace of the first high school in Serbia as well as Lyceum, the precursor of the University of Belgrade, the first court, the first theater, the first newspaper, first pharmacy, picture gallery, museum, library…
Between the two world wars in the city was opened the first Yugoslav authorized factory for the production of vegetables, fruits, and meat, the factory of jam, barrels, and candies Svetozar Stefanovic, a leather factory, the First Kragujevac Bag Factory opened.
Guardian of the history
Majority of ancient town heritage is located in the central town area, Milošev Venac, named after the prince Miloš Obrenović. This mute keeper of rich and glorious history is also a valuable tourist attraction.
The Old Assembly Building is built in 1859 and completely preserved until today, used to be a place for debating crucial questions of the state.
The Old Church (Presbyterian Church) raised in 1818 is an endowment of Prince Milos, was the first metropolitan, cathedral and court church in liberated Serbia. Her port has proclaimed almost all important decisions for the Serbian people.
Kragujevac was a hometown of the weapon factory Zastava, founded in 1853. In the factory was constructed the first aircraft bomb for the needs of the Montenegrin army during the siege of Skadar. Today, within the factory is a museum, symbolically named “The old foundry” museum, which keeps old collections of weapons and equipment, machinery and tools, archives, photographs, art objects and a collection of decorations, seals, goblet. Unfortunately, it is related to one of the saddest stories in Serbian History.
The first high school in former Yugoslavia was founded in 1833 on the ground of this town. This monumental building presents one of the greatest construction of the XIX Century. On October 21, 1941, a large number of students and professors were taken out of her classrooms and shot by the Germans. Built-in memory of innocent victims on the 352 hectars “Spomen-park „Kragujevački oktobar“, also known as Šumarice Memorial Park presents one of the most important sights in Serbia. Within the park, there is a museum opened on 21 October 1976 with a permanent exhibition dedicated to this event.
City of sensual attractions
Located in the Complex of Memorial Park Šumarice, this artificial lake was made to adorn the Memorial Park. 1500m long shores provide actives such as table tennis, volleyball on the sand and many more. Refreshment of the heat visitors finds on well-arranged bathing area, while fishing lovers may enjoy in fishing different kinds of fish.
Due to it attends during the summer period, the lake is between its citizens symbolically called The sea of Kragujevac.
A place that is hard to describe, a world that beyond every dream, an attraction that needs to be seen. On 400 meters, in a 350 glass, aquarium – terrarium boxes and 60,000 liters of water live more than 600 plant and animal species from aquatic ecosystems all across the planet.
The only sweetwater aquarium in Serbia attracts with thousands of colors, shapes and unusual inhabitants. Walking through the hall between aquarium and terrarium you will have the opportunity to see tropical fish, predators such as voracious piranhas of all sizes, as well as pythons, drowns, lizards and other species of amphibians, reptiles and various species of invertebrates.
On the entrance of the city, a monumental cross is rising, welcoming everyone who visits Kragujevac. 18 meters high and 11 meters wide the Cross of St. George, commonly known as the Kragujevac Cross.