Pearl of Serbia heritage
Finest example of 18th century European military architecture
Built and rebuilt between 1692 and 1780. its design is based on the system of fortifications developed by French Marquis de Vauban. Monumentality of the Fortress at the rocks and the Danube at the base contributed that many call Petrovaradin ”the Gibraltar of the Danube”. Petrovaradin fortress has many important underground tunnels on four floors, with 16 kilometers of corridors and resting places as well as a backup supply well in case of a long siege of the fortress. The latest archaeological studies indicate that this site has a history spanning more than 2,000 years. A sample of many cultures and societies that have used this site include the Celts, the Romans, the Byzantines, Hungarians, Turks, and Austrians. Petrovaradin fortress with the Clock Tower is a distinctive sign of Novi Sad from where there is a splendid view of the town. The clock was a very important feature of the fortress because its needles are visible from afar. Knowing the time was significant for the boatman on the Danube River, as well as for the changing of guards and military order. Today, the clock is still operational and rings at the top of every hour.
In the summer time, the Petrovaradin fortress hosts the famous music festival – Exit festival.The biggest music event in Southeast Europe has been taking place on Petrovaradin since 2001, gathering some of the most famous musicians worldwide and visitors from all continents. The Festival is visited by 50,000 people per day. Besides the magical atmosphere felt by all visitors and participants of the Festival, the fortress offers superior acoustics with amazing possibility to have different events which are quite close to each other and at the same time without the interference of sound.